Skip to main content

Latto - Sunday Service (Official Video)

Jade Alston talks Indie, Hipster, and R&B at Smak Parlour



Rae: What is the name of your latest project?

Jade: It’s called “Sunday Morning” which is part 2 of “Single on a Saturday Night”. It was released in January. I’m actually working on the final installments to Single on a Saturday Night now.

Rae: What are some new things that you’ve been up to so far as far as your music?

Jade: I’ve actually been doing a lot more behind the scenes on the business end. I co-manage my self now and I started a company called “The Artist Label”. It’s several different things. It’s a paired brand to several ventures but all of which supports my initiative to support art education and young people interested in the arts in general. We have a blog, which covers all kinds of art and businesses that relates to the art. I have a t-shirt line called the artist label and my management company called the Artist Label so I’ve been doing a lot of planning and prepping behind the scenes just to ensure the success of my future prospects.

Rae: So on the Artist Label you promote other artist as well?

Jade: Yeah, artist of all kinds. Even though I’m a singer and I’m a songwriter our blog covers culinary arts, dance, photography, fashion design and just different kinds of art in general.

Rae: What made you decide to become a singer and how did you get your start?

Jade: I always wanted to sing but I didn’t have the courage to do it full time and seriously on my own until about 3 years ago. It came from this undying passion and need to do nothing but music. I’ve tried so many different fields, I was a nanny, I worked at a daycare, preschool, I worked in the mall, I worked in real estate. I did a whole bunch of stuff and nothing made me happy like being an artist and a creative person so I was like man I just have to do this full time.

Rae: How would you define your sound?

Jade: As of lately my sound is very R&B. When people hear my voice they think of Anita Baker or Toni Braxton so I wanted to pay homage to my tone, which is a very R&B tone. It also has my own influences, which include hip-hop, I love rock instrumentation and soul. Moving forward it’s going to progress and slowly it’s going to expand and broaden, which will mean some cool things.

Rae: What inspires your music the most?


Jade: My life. It’s my real life and my real emotions, that’s it. It’s so funny I always talked about getting dumped before, that’s what inspired my first project but really I actually just had another break up last week and it dawned on me that maybe I wasn’t ever really in love. Now that I was really in love I didn’t realize how bad it really hurts so now I’ll be really writing from the heart. I cried, I can’t believe I cried before, so it will be a lot of my life in general.

Rae: And what do you think inspires your style the most?

Jade: I like to play dress up! Right now I love all things from the 70’s. That could change in a couple of months, I don’t know I just king of go with it. What ever makes me feel like me. At heart I’m very much a hipster and I’m a total free spirit. People can’t tell because I have a joined personal silly girl thing, but at heart I’m a total tree hugger so I’m trying to show that more. I guess how I feel on the inside.

Rae: Is there anything else that you’d like to add about your music?

Jade: Support my kick-starter campaign. I’m launching my kick-starter to raise money for my first full-length solo album. I’m excited about that, I need all the help that I can get raising money because you know I’m independent and independent means that you always have to be creative in finding resources.
 Photography by T. Dogherty
Smak Parlour Boutique


Comments

Popular Posts

Bianca aka Young B Interview

  Rae: Are you working on any new projects right now? Bianca: Yeah, my EP is coming out in October, I didn’t make a name up for it yet. I don’t want to rush the name because I want it to be a good name. Rae: I attended the “Let It Rain” video shoot in January. Was that video ever released? Bianca: No, I’m going to release it this January because when we shot it, it was an off month so I wanted to put it out at the right time and I didn’t want to rush it so that I would be able to do promo before it drops. I was in a video with Wyclef called “April Showers” that was filmed last April in 2013 and then he dropped it this April. Sometimes you just have to wait for it to build up the right momentum. I was in that video with Troy Ave and I was just in the Troy Ave video “My Style”. Rae: Do you have any upcoming performances? What have you been up to? Bianca: I have a bunch of upcoming performances. I never stop doing preformacnes, every week there’s somet

Malaysia Pargo x ROQ Magazine

Malaysia Pargo interviewed with ROQ Magazine during the photoshoot for the premier cover for the magazine, which will be released this summer. The Basket Ball Wives star discusses the evolution of her Three Beats diamond line, juggling her career with motherhood. Malaysia also expresses her journey up until her present point in her career giving young women a few words of advice. Starting a womens line : You know a lot of the ladies were complaining they were like you make kids stuff but the kids stuff is more like for me. I want to wear it! So I do tell them that yes you can wear the kids stuff and you can pass it down to your daughter, but then they were like no you need to come out with a ladies line.  So here I am coming out with a ladies line. I picked confidence as a headliner for my line because I feel like confidence is the best accessory that a woman will ever have. It's just do defining and that's one of the things that I have in my self. If you like someth

Prodigy from Mobb Deep signs "Albert Einstein" EP at Jeffersons boutique

  On July 12, Prodigy of Mobb Deep held an in store signing for his new EP entitled Albert Einstein at Jefferson's urban street wear boutique in Bergenfield, NJ. The new EP, which is produced by The Alchemist, will officially be released on July 17. At the signing he also sold his new book, H.N.I.C, which will be released on the same date as the EP. Photo Credit: Twon Don During the signing fans had the opportunity to meet and greet Prodigy. The first 100 people to arrive received a free t-shirt. Prodigy is set to go on tour in August.   Prodigy and Rae ROQ (Photo by Twon Don) Check out the video from his newly released single from his EP entitled "Dough Pildin"