Skip to main content

Latto - Sunday Service (Official Video)

Slim Dollars x When Worlds Collide x Interview


 Slim Dollars

During When Worlds Collide NYC ROQ Magazine had the opportunity to interview an up and coming Harlem performer. We will now introduce you to Slim Dollars. 
 
 Puma from Black Ink Crew introducing Slim Dollars at When Worlds Collide





Slim Dollars on stage with Scotch Davis at WWCNYC

RaeROQ: What made you decide to become an artist?

Slim Dollars: I was always inspired by hip-hop and I was very, very distracted in school. Around the time I started to find my self as an artist I was failing in school and excelling at learning that, so after a while the influence turned into what I wanted to do. It was a gradual incline of me getting into music as I got older and taking it more serious.

RaeROQ: And your genre is hip-hop right?

Slim Dollars: Yeah it’s hip-hop, pop. I like everything. I actually do like Electro-Funk with Navagante who is here also. I work with them too. They’re the ones who first brought me here to start rocking with them so those are the homies.  I get to broaden out and do things with them.

RaeROQ: Which artist would you say that you respect the most?

Slim Dollars: The most? Jay-Z, it will have to be him. As far as his moves, how he crafted his career, and how he took something that no one was willing to give him. I respect him more than anybody in hip-hop.

RaeROQ: Would you say that he is the artist that made you want to be a rapper?

Slim Dollars: Yeah, more so. I didn’t discover him until 95’ or 94’. Before him I was a huge A Tribe Called Quest, Big Daddy Kane and Slick Rick fan growing up. Slick Rick, DMX and Red Man, those people I was a huge fan of. I went from reciting all of their lyrics and watching their videos all day to kind of adapting certain parts of their style and learning from liking them.

RaeROQ: What is your greatest goal as an artist?

Slim Dollars: To be able to go on a world tour and put out a full-length album that the world accepts. I don’t really care about sales I just want the world to accept it really. Your first album is like your whole life in the making I guess so when you gradually increase with what your doing at some point you’ll get to some type of album and you’ll get to see what the world really thinks of you your first time out.

RaeROQ: Do you have any mixtapes that are out?

Slim Dollars: I have a mixtape called Treasonable Doubt, it’s a word play really. It’s the first project where I got a lot of help and I got a lot of people behind me so I kind of want to put all of the forces together and see what I’ve done over the years. This will be a reflection of years of work.

RaeROQ: Where can fans find Treasonable Doubt?

Slim Dollars: I’m on Soundcloud, Slim Dollars. You can Google me. I’m on lime links, Slim Dollars. I have four mixtapes that I put out previously. My last mixtape was called “Direct Deposit”. The mixtape that I put out before that was called “Hell up in Harlem”. I put out a mixtape called “Songs About Her” which is a 14 track mixtape just about relationships, women and me trying to find my self after dealing with women and not really chasing my dreams. That’s one of the best mixtapes I have because it was after a relationship I had that went bad I realized that this is what I should be doing.

RaeROQ: How has music impacted your life ?

Slim Dollars: It’s impacted me a lot be cause up until this year and last year people really didn’t see where was going with it. They heard me talking about it and sometimes I would do things and I wouldn’t go hard enough but I’ve been lucky enough this year to get a lot of opportunities and do what I really wanted to do with music and be able to be heard and seen. It’s definitely a good thing to have people checking for you and really follow what you’re doing on any level.

Check out Slim's Where Art Thou Music Video

Next Up, Scotch Davis 

Comments

Popular Posts

Bianca aka Young B Interview

  Rae: Are you working on any new projects right now? Bianca: Yeah, my EP is coming out in October, I didn’t make a name up for it yet. I don’t want to rush the name because I want it to be a good name. Rae: I attended the “Let It Rain” video shoot in January. Was that video ever released? Bianca: No, I’m going to release it this January because when we shot it, it was an off month so I wanted to put it out at the right time and I didn’t want to rush it so that I would be able to do promo before it drops. I was in a video with Wyclef called “April Showers” that was filmed last April in 2013 and then he dropped it this April. Sometimes you just have to wait for it to build up the right momentum. I was in that video with Troy Ave and I was just in the Troy Ave video “My Style”. Rae: Do you have any upcoming performances? What have you been up to? Bianca: I have a bunch of upcoming performances. I never stop doing preformacnes, every week there’s somet

Malaysia Pargo x ROQ Magazine

Malaysia Pargo interviewed with ROQ Magazine during the photoshoot for the premier cover for the magazine, which will be released this summer. The Basket Ball Wives star discusses the evolution of her Three Beats diamond line, juggling her career with motherhood. Malaysia also expresses her journey up until her present point in her career giving young women a few words of advice. Starting a womens line : You know a lot of the ladies were complaining they were like you make kids stuff but the kids stuff is more like for me. I want to wear it! So I do tell them that yes you can wear the kids stuff and you can pass it down to your daughter, but then they were like no you need to come out with a ladies line.  So here I am coming out with a ladies line. I picked confidence as a headliner for my line because I feel like confidence is the best accessory that a woman will ever have. It's just do defining and that's one of the things that I have in my self. If you like someth

Prodigy from Mobb Deep signs "Albert Einstein" EP at Jeffersons boutique

  On July 12, Prodigy of Mobb Deep held an in store signing for his new EP entitled Albert Einstein at Jefferson's urban street wear boutique in Bergenfield, NJ. The new EP, which is produced by The Alchemist, will officially be released on July 17. At the signing he also sold his new book, H.N.I.C, which will be released on the same date as the EP. Photo Credit: Twon Don During the signing fans had the opportunity to meet and greet Prodigy. The first 100 people to arrive received a free t-shirt. Prodigy is set to go on tour in August.   Prodigy and Rae ROQ (Photo by Twon Don) Check out the video from his newly released single from his EP entitled "Dough Pildin"